13.5.11

15 x 15 Tile

This building is directly across from one of the Hariri residences. With my back turned to the famous estate across the way, I focused my gaze on this house, and pulled out my camera to take a picture. Still, the security folks were not at all happy about my camera, not happy about its proximity to their domain. No photographs! one of them called out. I called back, pointing at this building with its amazing, unexpected, crazy tile designs. Please, I said. This is what I want a picture of. I promised I wouldn't take any pictures of the other side of the street.

He let me carry on and I kept my promise.

From a distance all those tiny little squares blend into lines and blocks of color.

I decided to post this enlarged section to better show the tiny tiles that also compose the blue facing on the intersecting face. I would have liked to get a clearer picture, but it's been cloudy and rainy and sometimes this is as good as it gets.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, where'd the Hotel Pacifica go ??? Hope to see it again, I loved the "Hotel" sign that had gotten a bit beat up over the years...

    Glad to hear your brush with security folks turned out ok... I had my camera examined one day by plainclothed police one day when I got too close to the Druze headquarters, and all I wanted was a photo a colorful old house nearby. I didn't get to take a picture... apparently the Druze building was right behind the house I wanted to shoot...

    Well, your latest tile mosaics here are curious, but I'm not sure I'd want to do my bathroom walls like that...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's back! Blogger was having issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color and the straight lines; contrasting the muted-color, elegant lines you normally capture (which I also love).

    ReplyDelete