3.2.12

Where I Am

At this time last week I was in the American west, in a small town, at a funeral. There are buildings in Beirut that remind me of the small towns in western America. These, for example, in Mar Nicholas remind me of that region for no good reason at all. They also remind me of funerals, and there are a lot of good reasons for that.

Anyway, I've been back for a few days, back in Beirut. I love pictures like this because they're from here; I don't think anywhere else has architecture like this. And right now, there's nowhere else I'd rather be.

4 comments:

  1. It's such a fascinating place ... but I'd also love to see a photo of your shack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a photo of it (though it doesn't show just how bad it is) at the blog I maintained when I lived in the US. The city's records list its condition as "poor" and it's now 85 years old.

      Delete
  2. And just think of how much disappeared during the long years of war... lucky that some old relics from the past survived more or less intact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if only we could have them renovated and updated and made suitable for inhabitants. What a sight that would be!

      Delete