1.11.09

Signs

Remember the new sidewalk? Here's the sign marking the street where the men were working.

Bilingual streetsigns are, mercifully, all over the city. Since I don't understand, speak, or read Arabic, this is a big help--even though hardly anybody uses street addresses. License plates also feature both western numerals and the Arabic equivalent. I've come to view both as mini pop-quizes on the numbers. I find myself looking at the Arabic half, changing it over in my mind to the numbers I grew up with in the US and then checking against what they have posted in western numerals. It's a great way to learn the numbers.

2 comments:

  1. what a cool and interesting perspective! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need to convert the Arabic from right to left or is it listed left to right?
    Grandpa Dan

    ReplyDelete