10.1.11

Paint it Red

It was a few weeks ago that I saw this remarkable building along the Dora Highway. I was headed northward out of town. The time that has passed since hasn't worn away the shock of that red.

A few days ago I noted that purple isn't a common color for exteriors here. Neither is red. That's why I noticed this place because it wasn't red before, but now it shockingly is.

I'm kind of indifferent about purple but I love the red especially with crisp white trim. It makes me wish that everyone with a historic home would grab a can of paint and make our world brighter.

I say this knowing my own deep affection for the sandy color of Lebanon's native stone, for the color of age and paint long faded. I wish I could have it both ways. So scratch that wish, I guess.   I'll settle for half.  Half of you out there with historic homes do nothing, and the others, paint it on bold.

4 comments:

  1. My impression is that there are more red-painted homes out East than there are here in the Midwest in the US. I, too, love brightly painted houses. This one is a REAL eye-catcher, tho...must be its size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I LOVE this. A splash of color is so good. Thanks for sharing both text and photo the way you have done. Did you wait for the red colored car? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, that was a lucky accident. I took this picture while driving--can't remember if I was behind the wheel or not, which means my memory must be going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a storage warehouse painted their building red like this in Sydney and it was certainly eye catching. However the neighbours complained and they had to tone down some parts of it.

    ReplyDelete