6.3.11

The Crypt Museum, St. George Cathedral

On a lark the other day, I stepped into the St. George Orthodox Cathedral downtown and asked if I could see the crypt.

I'd read that after the civil war, archeologists excavated the space beneath the cathedral before restoration work began. There they found burials, evidence of roman baths, foundations of bygone structures, a bit of a canal and road, mosaic floors.

This and much more is presented in the museum. I love the way the exhibit leads the visitor into the past--every few feet you'll find information about what the archeologists found beneath the cathedral. Push the green button on the info panel, and lights turn on drawing your eye to the notable things nearby.

I enjoyed looking, reading, learning in this museum. I could tell that they had carefully considered how to present so much history in an easily-understood way.

I'll be going back with my kids soon. Admission is LL 5,000 (adults) and LL 1,000 (children).  They're open every day except Monday--10 AM til 6 PM.

5 comments:

  1. Gosh, it looks like you are having a fine time, day in and day out, discovering Beirut... and seeing a ton of things that people just passing through as tourists probably wouldn't find. Am enjoying these vicarious visits tremendously... thank you for being such an entertaining hostess !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see this.
    Glad you are following your "larks."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just took my visitors to see this on your recommendation - very interesting indeed! Thanks for the tip, I'll keep coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went today on a school trip. Will go back and spend longer. The most amazing bit for me was the vertical timeline next to an excavated wall at the start of the display showing all the various layers of civilizations past -- the Ottoman one, the most recent, includes a skull!

    ReplyDelete