30.5.11

Every week at the farmer's market you'll see this pair of ladies making sandwiches. The one in the foreground kneads the bread, flattening it into a thin disk. Under her left arm you can see a large round pillow, or maybe I should call it a bean bag because it had some weight to it.  The flattened dough goes onto this substantial pillow and she flips it over onto the baking surface in the foreground. It isn't like flipping a pancake--the pillow sort of squashes the dough onto the iron.

The bread is finished baking in only a minute or two and then it's ready for fillings--olives, goat cheese, thyme, tomato, olive oil, etc. It's yummy. You can see bags of spice in the background on the right.

In the background on the left are a few other merchants eying me and my camera. I wonder what they thought of me, and what they thought I thought of them.

6 comments:

  1. Traveling teacher in her blog Believing in Beirut posted the Beirut episode of "No Reservations"- a food show with Anthony Bourdain. It features a long segment on the market and it's organizer/ founder.
    http://believinginbeirut.blogspot.com/ just a little way down...
    (sorry if linking is bad manners...not really up on blog rules)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link! I've never seen the episode, but people keep telling me about it.

    I've been to the restaurant in the second clip she posted. It was just a few days ago. Still looks the same, and I'm going to post a map soon. Yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a sandwich I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have a good partnership.

    The guys add a lot to the great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    I am an architecture student studying in University of Cyprus and I am now on a project about urban design in Beirut. I find your blog very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    I am an architecture student studying in University of Cyprus and I am now on a project about urban design in Beirut. I find your blog very useful.

    ReplyDelete