19.5.11

No Take-Backs

At pick-up time yesterday all the kids were excited. School was canceled for Thursday and it was as if Christmas had come early. Thursday, today, was to be an enormous protest day; a burn tires and close schools and shut down the city kind of protest day.

And then, in the late evening yesterday, it was all called off. Except that school had already been canceled and there's a no take-backs clause on that one.

From my corner of town, the city seems quieter than usual today. Maybe that's why this picture from my archives felt right today. It was about a year ago that I stopped at the edge of the highway that leads northward out of town and took this photo.  It's just a street, but the quietness about it contrasted with the roaring highway where I stood and the contrast was a bit mesmerizing and I couldn't help taking a picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment