I should write an ode to rebar, since it plays such an important role in the contemporary architecture of this city.

Rebar, Wikipedia tells me, is short for "reinforcing bar", it is the length of steel that becomes the "reinforcing" part of reinforced concrete. In Australia it is called reo. I mention this because Julie asked and quite unexpectedly, Wikipedia explained that our terms differ.

Here you see it in tidy bundles, draped in the back of the dump truck like so much limp spaghetti. Hard to believe it, but yes, steel bends like that.  Rebar is delivered to construction sites as you see it here, in enormous trucks that can barely pass through the streets. When the truck reaches its destination, it literally dumps the rebar out onto the side of the road, making an amazing, enormous racket that sounds something like a cross between an amplified cat fight and a whirring table saw.

In Beirut, rebar is fabricated into size specific grids on-site.  You form it, cut, bend and weld it into a network, a lattice, a kind of open grid. And then you pour concrete all over it. Bingo. Reinforced concrete.


  1. That is one dramatic photo! I would never drive behind that truck. But even worse is being under a crane when it is lifting all that rebar.

  2. Ooo ... thank you for this. So THAT is what rebar is. I did not even know that here in Australia we refer to it as 'reo', although the contraction rings true considering we have such things as 'garbos'. If push came to shove, I would have said they were known as reinforcing rods, but that shows a distinct lack of linguistic imagination! Ours are packed like that and transported like that. They are also constructed on site. I agree with Dina, that sometimes when driving along, I have visions of what would happen if the load in front shifted - not just a load of rebar though!

  3. Few days ago suddenly i feeling a problem about rebar .I am always looking for a solution finally i find it this article
    rebar reinforcement